Courses are taught by the staff of School of Linguistics (HSE), including Valentina Apresian, Timofei Arkhangelskij, Svetlana Burlak, Michael Daniel, Nina Dobrushina, Sergei Kniazev, Roman Krivko, Yuri Lander, Alexander Letuchiy, Olga Ljashevskaja, George Moroz, Alexander Piperski, Anna Volkova.
We often have guest speakers, including three coming in the Fall of 2016 - Prof. Johan van der Auwera (University of Antwerp), Prof. Dirk Geeraerts (University of Leuven) and Prof. Eric Reuland (University of Utrecht). The visitors of the past years are listed here.
Some of the areas of academic research at School of linguistics include:
- Russian linguistics, history of Russian;
- minority languages of Russia, including languages of the Caucasus, field linguistics;
- corpus linguistics;
- lexical typology;
- linguistic typology and language diversity;
- variational sociolinguistics;
- language contact and multilingualism;
- as well as more generally morphology, syntax, semantics and their interfaces.
We also offer guest lectures from leading international experts in various fields of linguistics, including phonetics, semantics, typology and many other domains.