The main goal of the Bachelor’s programme “HSE and University of London Double Degree Programme in Economics” is the preparation of highly qualified specialists in the sphere of economics and finance. The programme is implemented with the academic support of the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE). It combines the best of Russian and British higher education. The programme implements a unified integrated curriculum based on the educational standards in economics of both HSE and the University of London.
Our graduates hold profound knowledge in modern economic theory and its applications consistent with the international requirements. BSc graduates possess all necessary skills, qualification, and knowledge which allow them to start their professional or academic career in the global world in different language, cultural and professional environment.
The main academic principles of ICEF BSc programme are intellectual freedom and sell-fulfilment, critical approach to social and economic processes, high quality education and research, openness and transparency of teaching and assessment, equal high selection criteria and equal opportunities for all students and teachers.
ICEF BSc programme specifics:
· ICEF BSc programme is a four-year programme.
· All courses are taught in English but students have an opportunity to gain knowledge in professional communication in Russian as well by selecting optional courses taught in Russian.
· The main professional subjects are taught by the professors with PhD degrees received in the leading international universities. All professors are selected on competitive basis by the ICEF International Academic Committee.
· There is a double system of students’ knowledge assessment which guarantees its independence. It includes internal exams of HSE, external independent exams of the University of London, international exams Advanced Placement Test (APT) and International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Internal HSE exams take place three times a year and in the end of the academic year external exams are held: Advanced Placement Test (APT) and International English Language Testing System (IELTS) on the year 1, and the exams of the University of London at the years 2-4.
· During the academic year there is a continuous ongoing academic performance control in the form of essays, written home assignments, group projects, etc.
· BSc students are actively involved in research activities of ICEF by working in the international laboratories, working on specific research projects, writing term papers and bachelor theses under the supervision of ICEF full-time academics hired from the international labour market.
· ICEF students have an access to the educational resources of two universities: teaching and learning materials, online information systems VLE (University of London), ICEF-ONLINE (ICEF), LMS (HSE), library collections. Teaching and learning materials consist of study guides, problem books, exam papers collection, video-lectures, slides, online forums with the teachers and other resources. The University of London provides its international students with all the necessary materials and information resources in an online format.
Study process structure
On the first year of the BSc programme ICEF students study base economic and mathematical courses and at the end of the academic year they pass international Advanced Placement Test which includes 3 exams: Calculus, Statistics, Economics (Microeconomics and Macroeconomics). They also have to pass English proficiency test IELTS. In the case of successful examination students are transferred to the second year of ICEF and admitted to the International Programme of the University of London. Students have an opportunity to choose one of 6 degrees (specialisations): Economics, Economics and Finance, Economics and Mathematics, Economics and Management, Banking and Finance, Accounting and Finance.
Every year students study four subjects of their specialisation and pass the international exams of the University of London in the end of each year. Along with that students study subjects needed for HSE degree.
The curriculum consists of the following subject groups:
1. Economic disciplines: Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Econometrics.
2. Mathematical disciplines: Calculus, Statistics, Linear Algebra, Mathematics for Economists.
3. Professional disciplines of specialisations: Principles of Accounting, Corporate Finance, Principles of Banking and Finance, International Economics, Financial Intermediation, Investment Management, Quantitative Finance, Abstract Mathematics, Audit and Assurance, Financial Reporting, Optimisation Theory, Mathematics of Finance and Valuation, and other courses. Students are allowed to take the courses of other specialisations as electives.
4. Humanitarian disciplines: Sociology, History, Philosophy, Political Science, Law, and other disciplines.
In general ICEF students study no more than 6 subjects simultaneously.
ICEF also realizes a special ICEF Academia programme for the strongest, most motivated and academically oriented students. In the beginning the programme consists of advanced courses and professional optional courses. Starting from the second year ICEF Academia students are involved in research activities which are held on the basis of Advanced Research Programme.
There is also a programme of optional courses for ICEF BSc students. The programme consists of second foreign language, soft skills development courses, practical finance courses, IT applications courses and others. The courses are taught by the leading specialists from Russian and international companies.
Who teaches at ICEF?
ICEF academic teaching staff is formed on the basis of the open contest using the international procedures for faculty members and part-time teachers’ selection. The teachers of the programme are highly qualified specialists and researchers in their professional spheres. The main professional courses are taught by the ICEF full-time academics with PhD degrees from the best universities of Europe and the USA. Moreover, there are visiting professors from leading Russian and foreign universities who also teach at ICEF.
ICEF graduates possess necessary skills, qualification and knowledge needed for successful professional and academic career. The education based on international standards gives our graduates an opportunity to work in the biggest international commercial and investment banks, audit and consulting companies, corporations in different industries, government organisations and other companies. Those graduates who are interested in academic career are admitted to the leading MSc and PhD programmes in the best Russian and foreign universities such as LSE, University of Oxford, MIT, London Business School and other universities (about one third of all graduates every year).