• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site

Frequently asked questions

Is it possible to transfer to the programme from a foreign institution?

Transfer to the programme from other universities shall be possible June and December and only for the first year of the programme. We recommend indicating your intent beforehand and getting in touch with programme coordinators via email at: epa@hse.ru.

The process of student transfer in HSE is described in detail here.

At the first step of the transfer process, you must submit a request for transfer, using the online Front Office service for applicants.

(Note! The request submission date is not regarded as the application date. The request shall be reviewed within 3 working days.)

To submit a request, please fill in the online form and attach copies of the documents required for subsequent expert review, including:

  1. your student ID;
  2. an official transcript from your current institution. (If your University can not issue a certificate with a signature and seal, you can provide a certificate in PDF format that will indicate the date of issue, full name and position of the person authorized to sign the certificate (during the period of restrictive measures related to the threat of spread of COVID19);
  3. a certificate of education that you submitted for admission to your current institution;
  4. a certificate of recognition of academic credentials, if your degree certificate/diploma was issued by a foreign educational institution*

*This certificate shall not be required in the following cases: if a degree certificate/diploma has been issued pursuant to Part 3 of Article 107 of Federal Law No. 273-FZ; in cases when international degree certificates/diplomas, which do not comply with requirements of Part 3 of Article 107 of Federal Law No. 273-FZ, may be independently recognized by HSE; if a student submits a certificate of education, pursuant to Article 6 of Federal Law No. 84-FZ, dated May 5, 2014 “On Special Legal Aspects in the Sphere of Education Due to the Accession of the Republic of Crimea to the Russian Federation and Establishment of New Russian Constituent Bodies - the Republic of Crimea and the Federal City of Sevastopol, as well as On Amendments to the Federal Law ‘On Education in the Russian Federation’”.

**All documents must be provided in Russian (Russian translations must be attached to all documents originally issued in a foreign language) or in English.

How many years does it take to earn a Bachelor’s degree and what kind of diploma do graduates receive?

The programme covers four years of study. The graduates of the programme will receive two Bachelor’s degrees in International Studies: from Higher School of Economics and Kyung Hee University, respectively. The major courses primarily focus on East Asian or Southeast Asian studies:

  • Chinese Studies,
  •  Korean Studies,
  • Japanese Studies,
  • Vietnamese Studies,
  • Indonesian/Malaysian Studies.


Graduates will also receive a Diploma Supplement in the following additional specializations:

• Global Business

• International Relations.

Additional specializations under the HSE-KHU Double degree programme shall be coordinated by Kyung Hee University and its College of International Studies, which is one of the leading centers for International Studies in Asia.

Which university and faculty will students be studying at?

Students will get to study at both universities simultaneously. They will be considered as students of the HSE Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs and as students of the KHU College of International Studies. This will enable them to use a range of great opportunities provided by these leading universities of Russia and Asia. The curriculum will include obligatory courses required for earning a diploma from the Higher School of Economics and Kyung Hee University. The first two years, as well as the fourth year, are to take place at HSE, Moscow; during the third year, students are to go for an internship in Korea, China or Japan. There also will be an opportunity to attend summer language schools organized by Kyung Hee University and its partner universities.

When can students choose major courses and additional specializations?

At the start of their first year of study, students must choose their major in East Asian/Southeast Asian Studies and an Asian language. In the second year, they must select an additional specialization: Global Business or International Relations. Therefore, after progressing from the first year to the second year, students must choose their additional specialization. During the first semester of the second year, students may change their specializations if they so desire. In terms of choosing major courses or additional specializations, there are no quotas or restrictions that would limit a student’s freedom of choice.