• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site

Freshman Memo

Dear first-year students,

Here you will find a list of important measures that will help you resolve many organizational issues and start the studying year calmly.

Please make sure that from August 23, 2023, in addition to the instructions below, you will receive newsletters to the personal email address you provide when submitting your documents to the HSE Admission Office. If the notification does not come to you, please write about it with a current personal email to program manager Lukova Alexandra Viktorovna or  to 1st year students’ manager Valentin Dmitrievich Voronov.

Photo by Scott Webb on Unsplash

1. Get a HSE student ID card

To receive a student ID card at the solemn meeting with freshmen, which will take place on August 31, 2023 at 15:30 at the HSE Cultural Center (11 Pokrovsky Bulvar, bld. 6), you must bring 2 color photographs 2 cm x 3 cm in size to the HSE address: 29 Malaya Ordynka Ulitsa (metro stations Tretyakovskaya, Dobryninskaya, or Polyanka) until August 25, 18:00. Photos must be left at the security post.

Important! The photo must be signed without fail: write your full name on the back and leave a mark “Kyung Hee” or “Economics and Politics in Asia”.

Deadline: until August 25, 18:00.

What if I can't bring my photos by the due date? You can also bring photos later, in which case you can pick up your student ID card at the beginning of September at the study office. The average time for issuing a student ID card is 1 week from the date of submission of photos.

2. Get access to the HSE Library and the professorial student club of our program “Koreancorner”

1) To enroll in the HSE Library:

Read the rules for using the library at the link:


To receive a library card, fill out the online registration form on the library website (to register, you will need your student ID number and HSE corporate email address). After submitting the form, you will receive a library card number, which will be available in the application HSE App X. After that, you can get remote access to the electronic resources of the library by clicking on the link https://library.hse.ru/en/e-resources/ .

For all questions, please contact the HSE Library hotline (https://library.hse.ru/en/hotline/ ) or write to the library's social network https://vk.com/hselibrary / https://t.me/s/hse_library/ .

If you would like to book a tour of the library or learn how to find information in print and online resources, please send email to library@hse.ru

2) To receive scientific and educational literature in the professorial student club of our program, you need to go to office No.401 on 29 Malaya Ordynka Ulitsa. Part of the literature is given "on hand", with a number of textbooks you can work in the reading room of the Club.

Where: 29 Malaya Ordynka Ulitsa, Office No.401

When: beginning of September

3. Get Letter of Admission from Kyung Hee University

To obtain this document, you must submit your travel passport details to the study office of the program. You need to carefully monitor the information that will be sent by the program staff by email and respond to the request for data in a timely manner.

When: second half of September - early October

What to do if I do not have a travel passport? Be sure to apply for one. All students by the beginning of the 2nd course (preferably by the beginning of the 2nd semester of the 1st course) must have their travel passports ready.

Kyung Hee University will not be able to officially enroll you until it receives your travel passport details. Without the Letter of Admission, you will also not have access to Kyung Hee University's library resources and will not be able to apply for a 3rd year student visa.

4. How to apply for a Muscovite student card

A Muscovite card can be issued by the “My Documents” Service Centre and be used for accessing public transportation in Moscow at reduced rates.

Step 1: Check your registration details on the website of Moscow Social Register here: Registration in the Register of Students / Postgraduate Students / Doctoral Students.

Step 2: Complete the registration procedures at the www.mos.ru portal and submit an application for a Muscovite card via your personal account. Your application will be processed within 30 calendar days. You can check the status of your application in your personal account or using this link.

If you are an international student, you will need to apply for your SNILS (a pension insurance certificate), in order to submit an application for a Muscovite student card.

How to apply for a SNILS?

A SNILS card is issued at the local PFR office (Pension Fund of the Russian Federation) or “My Documents” Service Centre, upon your submission of a personal application.

Make sure to bring the following documents:

  1. your ID (passport or residence permit);
  2. a notarized passport (ID) translation.

List of the PFR offices in Moscow:

https://sfr.gov.ru/branches/moscow/info/~2022/05/21/7034 .

List of the “My Documents” Service Centre offices:

https://www.mos.ru/pgu/ru/md/ .

5. How to apply for a certificate to confirm your admission for study at HSE University (if needed)

A certificate to confirm your admission to studies at HSE University under ______ (degree programme name) will be issued within five working days after the application date.

How to apply for a certificate: You can apply via the link.

When: after the issue of your matriculation directive, but not earlier than September 1.

*For example, if you need to provide a certificate to the tax authorities, the Pension Fund or other organizations.

6. Get electronic ID badge for accessing HSE University buildings

Information about the dates and schedule for collecting passes will be sent to students via HSE University corporate e-mail and can be found here:

https://www.hse.ru/org/hse/aup/security/propusk .

7. Get access to the student's corporate email

The Higher School of Economics provides each student with a free corporate email address for the duration of their studies at the university. This address is used to send official information to students from HSE staff. Other addresses (personal addresses of students, group addresses of study groups, etc.) are not official sources of information about the educational process.

You can find out your corporate email address a little later from the training office staff. The corporate mail web interface is available at: http://edumail.hse.ru  or https://mail.yandex.ru/ .

Additional reference information on working with corporate student email:

  • If you have forgotten or lost the password for your student mailbox: please update your phone number and add (update) your personal e-mail in the Unified Personal Account profile and change your password. See instructions: Update phone number; Change Password.
  • If you do not know how to set up mail forwarding to another mailbox, follow the instructions.
  • If you are unable to send or receive letters to your student mail address: xxx@edu.hse.ru, please contact the study office of the educational program with a request to send a request to the HSE student mail support service.
  • If you want to see the full collection of instructions for working with Yandex 360 email, follow the link and select the desired section. If you need to set up a mobile device to work with a student mail service, read the instructions.

8. Sign and submit HSE Regulations acknowledgement form

HSE Academic Handbook – you can find answers to all questions about the study process at HSE University here.

Local regulations and documents can be found in the relevant section.

After familiarizing yourself with the local regulations and documents of the university, you must bring the signed HSE Regulations acknowledgement form to the study office of the program (29 Malaya Ordynka Ulitsa, office No.106).

Deadline: until September 15

For International Students

1. Dormitory check-in

Places for checking in at HSE University’s dormitories are allocated via international students’ personal accounts.

When: You will be provided with access to the “Dormitory” section in your personal account after completing the “Enrolment Consent”, as well as education recognition procedures, but no earlier than August 18, 2023. Bachelor’s and Master’s students can start checking in at their dormitory from August 21, 2023 Accommodation referrals are valid for 10 days.

By the moment of your arrival to study, you will be entitled to a place at one of the University’s dormitories.

Please download and print out an accommodation referral form available in your Personal account and present it at the dormitory.

Make sure to have the following documents when you check in the dormitory:

  • passport (any other ID);
  • a copy of the first page of your passport with personal details and your
  • photograph;
  • migration card;
  • vaccination certificate issued in any format from a medical institution (make sure to have a mark confirming your measles vaccination);
  • medical insurance policy valid for the entire period of your stay in Russia;
  • medical certificate issued as per Form 086/у or in a similar format (see Annex No.8).

Please find more details about medical documents required for checking in the dormitory on the website of the Office of Staff and Student Benefits.

If you have any questions, please contact us by email: zaselenie@hse.ru.

2. Information about visa and migration registration

HSE Visa and Registration Centre Contact details

Address: Office D005/D006, Korpus D, 11 Pokrovsky Bulvar, Moscow, Russia, 109028

Opening hours for students at the Student Service Centre: 2pm – 6pm, Monday – Friday at 11 Pokrovsky Bulvar, Entrance No. 5 (entrance from the boulevard).

Telephone: 8 (495) 531-00-63

Email: visa-registration@hse.ru

Website: https://ivisa.hse.ru/

Obligatory medical examination, fingerprinting and official photographing procedures for foreign citizens

Amendments to the Federal Law "On the Legal Status of Foreign Nationals in Russian Federation" came into force on the December 29, 2021 The new provisions establish that foreign nationals (including international students) staying in Russia for more than 90 days must undergo a medical examination, fingerprint registration and official photographing.

The following penalties can be levied upon those who have not completed the established procedures or failed to complete them on time: administrative fine, deportation.

You can find more details about these obligatory procedures at:

https://ivisa.hse.ru/dactilo1 .