• A
  • A
  • A
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • ABC
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
  • А
Regular version of the site

How to Apply

Thank you for your interest in the ‘Economics and Politics in Asia’ programme.

This programme is taught in English and consists of three years of study at the Higher School of Economics in Moscow, Russia, and one year at Kyung Hee University and Kyung Hee Partner Universities.

The cost of study in 2018/2019 is 490,000 RUB*, for Kyung Hee University (11,500 USD*). International students can live in HSE’s affordable dormitories for the duration of their studies.


The application process for international students (who have not taken the Russian Unified State Exam (EGE)) consists of two stages:


1)     The first step of the application process including filling out an online form on the International Admissions website;

2)     This form requires scans of your educational documents and a motivational letter (300-500 words). If English is not your native language, please upload an IELTS, TOEFL, or other certificate(s) demonstrating your level of proficiency;

3)     After we have evaluated your documents, you will receive either preliminary acceptance to the programme or a rejection letter. The programme’s academic coordinator will get in touch with you via e-mail: epa@hse.ru.


The next stage of the application process includes submission of documents and taking exams. Ant this will require you to visit Moscow.

Original copies of documentsmust be submitted in person to the HSE Admissions Committee in Moscow or sent via registered post with a list of enclosures. If you send your materials by post, please email the programme coordinator to let them know about this.


All applicants must submit:

  • Legalized education and/or qualification documentation, if the specified education level is recognized by the Russian Federation or HSE as the required level of education;
  • Documents confirming the applicant’s individual achievements, the results of which shall be considered throughout the application process (submitted at the discretion of the applicant);
  • Other documents (submitted at the discretion of the applicant);
  • Two photos (size 3x4 cm)


The final step is to take exams at HSE in Moscow during the summer. Applicants must take two exams:

  • Foreign Language (you need to score at least 70 out of 100);
  • Russian Language (55 out of 100).


Applicants may choose whether they prefer to take the exams in English or Russian. Examination programs can be found here: 

  English Language Test Sample

  Russian Language Test Sample

Applicants may stay at HSE’s dormitories during the examination period (the approximate cost is 100 rubles per day). Their exam results will be published on the HSE and programme websites in July.

* - the cost of study for the following years can be slightly changed in accordance with inflation rates.

** - for a document to be ‘legalized’, it must be either apostilled or consular legalized, depending on the issuing country. Please see below for more details:


Document apostilization

If a document-issuing country is a party to the Hague Convention, an Apostille stamp (sometimes this procedure is called ‘simplified legalization’ or ‘apostilling’) can be accepted. To be eligible for an apostille, a document must first be certified by an officer (notaries, in some cases), which will then be recognized by the authority that will issue the apostille. Each country that is a party to the Hague Convention shall make its own decision on lists of authorized agencies to be allowed to issues apostilles. Please find more information here: http://www.apostilleofdocuments.com/index.html

If a country is not a party to the Hague Convention, consular legalization is required. In such cases, a document must be certified by the foreign ministry of the country where the document originated and then by the foreign ministry/embassy or consulate of the Russian government. For example, as a non-signatory, Canadian diplomas for use overseas must be certified by the Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs in Ottawa or by a Canadian consular official abroad and subsequently by the Russian government office or consulate. For more information, please visit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille_Convention.

Please note: documents from certain countries do not require legalization. For more details, visit our website at: https://www.hse.ru/admissions/exempt