World's Business Cultures
Васильев Федор Валерьевич
- Single comprehensive framework of cultural differences for analyzing thinking and communicating patterns of counterparts from any country
- Creating a map of etiquette nuances at the working place around the globe
- Learning about marketing and customer service in different countries
- Studying methodological tools of personnel selection in an international company
- Introducing students to the features of the control group processes in multicultural teams;
- Getting to know what are the requirements for a leader in cross-cultural context
- the participants will learn what are the differences across cultures in working and priorities in doing business; will unite them in a single framework to be used in the rest of lessons in the course; will understand their own national culture and their own preferences in conducting business.
- participants will understand their own communicating style and understand how they could adapt to new cultural contexts without impairing the efficiency of working processes; how to build rapport in a new team; how to develop one’s own CQ and help your teammates do the same
- participants will learn what are the most crucial differences in the norms at the workplace; will learn how to adapt to them and use them to their own advantage.
- participants will learn what are the differences in monocultural marketing and cross-cultural marketing; learn the first steps in adapting their marketing to new cultural contexts; how to use cultural dimensions in international marketing
- participants will understand that customer if service is a universal concept and will understand how they should adapt their services and customer support to new cultural contexts; how to use cultural dimensions to adapt to specificity of clients from around the globe
- participants will understand the peculiarities of leading in a global context; analyze themselves and establish an action plan in developing required competencies; analyze and choose the best instruments of achieving one’s goals
- the participants will develop a profile of the required employees; will learn how to use the tools to find these employees; will develop a plan on how to keep them the company
- Culture in International BusinessIn this block the participants will learn: • The term “Culture” and how does it affect the ways people conduct business around the globe; • 3 laws of communicating across cultures; • Cultural dimensions or the differences in the way people think: o Power distance; o Uncertainty avoidance; o Individualism; o Task/Relationship orientation; o Fluid/rigid time; o Long-term and short-term orientation; o Masculinity; o Emotional and reserved cultures
- Communication across cultures: multicultural and global teamsIn this block the participants will learn: • Differences in the way we communicate; o High and low context cultures; o Direct and indirect style of communication; o Proxemics – the distance between speakers; o Haptics – to touch or not to touch? o Oculesics – eye contact nuances; o Pauses when talking. • Ways of establishing trust and communication tools for working in multicultural teams; • Tools for developing personal CQ.
- Business etiquette around the worldIn this block the participants will learn: • The road map to etiquette nuances around the globe; o Things we do before the meeting: Creating cultural and communicating profile of foreign colleagues; Scheduling a meeting; Creating a business card; Preparing the necessary documents; Choosing a present; Dress-codes; The role of punctuality o Things we do during a meeting: Greetings and handshakes; Small-talk and topics to discuss or not to discuss; Agenda: specific plan or a useless piece of paper? Giving a gift. o Things we do after a meeting: Follow-up; Negotiations in non-formal context: • European dining etiquette; • Asian dining etiquette. • How to choose and work with an interpreter.
- Culture and marketingIn this block the participants will learn: • What is international marketing? • How to attract customers in different cultures? • Cultural considerations in international marketing; • Cases of cultural blunders and cultural masterpieces in marketing campaigns; • Localization and its place in international marketing; • Branding in global management
- Culture and customer focus and service around the globeIn this block the participants will learn: • Does the understanding of “customer focus” differs across the globe? • Does culture affect the way we provide our services? • Interaction of culture and customer behavior; • How to retain customers in different cultures.
- Leadership and motivation in different culturesIn this block the participants will learn: • Who is a Leader in today’s global economy? • What is required of a global Leader? • The skillset of a modern Leader; • The connection between cultural dimensions and perception of a Leader; • Rallying people and motivating them to achieve more.
- Recruitment and Employee development in different culturesIn this block the participants will learn: • Who to look for on an international employee market? • Toolset for finding the right people: how to deter the wrong people attract the right people; • Best practices from companies like Google, Starbucks, Samsung, Huawei, etc. • Adapting the new employees in international companies; • Developing people in a multicultural context.
- Homework 1
- Homework 2
- Class attendance
- Independent work
- Homework 1
- Homework 2
- Class attendance
- Independent work
- Interim assessment (3 module)0.18 * Class attendance + 0.4 * Exam + 0.1 * Homework 1 + 0.15 * Homework 2 + 0.17 * Independent work
- Cross-Cultural Business Behavior : A Guide for Global Management Richard R. Gesteland Samfundslitteratur 2007
- Cultures and Organizations: Software of the mind. (2012). Viet Nam National University Press. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsnar&AN=edsnar.oai.library.wur.nl.wurpubs.454579
- Leading with Cultural Intelligence : The Real Secret to Success Livermore, David AMACOM 2015
- Lee, M. S., Kraynak, J., & Roberts, R. R. (2009). Cross-Cultural Selling For Dummies. Hoboken, N.J.: For Dummies. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=254130
- Owen, J. (2017). Global Teams : How the Best Teams Achieve High Performance (Vol. First edition). Harlow, United Kingdom: FT Publishing International. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsebk&AN=1428350
- Essential Concepts of Cross-Cultural Management : Building on What We All Share Beer, Lawrence A. Business Expert Press 2012 ISBN: ISBN number:9781606493892, ISBN number:9781606493908
- Managing Cultural Differences Moran, Robert T.; Abramson, Neil Remington;and more Taylor & Francis Group 2014 ISBN: ISBN number:9780415717342, ISBN number:9781317975656