Methods of Statistical Consulting
- The course gives students an important foundation to develop and conduct their own research as well as to evaluate research of others.
- Be able to design tables and plots that increase clarity and understanding, create effective slides and oral presentation, write a study protocol.
- Be able to identify subject matter questions and translate into statistical language. Ask good questions and restate answers to ensure understanding.
- Be able to verbally explain statistical concepts.
- Be able to write a statistical analysis report
- Be able to write the background, goals, and study design section of a proposal or report.
- Have an ability to run an effective collaboration meeting, use video and other tools to improve meeting and collaboration.
- Have the skill to design and complete a consulting project from start to finish.
- Know ethical guidelines specific to statisticians.
- Know how to choose a statistical method that is appropriate for answering the client’s question.
- Know the principles and guidelines of Responsible Conduct for Research.
- Know their subject matter questions.
- The methodology of statistical consulting
- Methodological aspects
- Consulting project from A to Z, I
- Consulting project from A to Z, II
- Consulting project from A to Z, III
- Case studies
- Weekly homeworks
- In-class presentations
- Participation and responsibility grade
- Consulting report
- Mandatory 40 hours of statistical consulting, documented via consulting journal
- 2021/2022 1st module
- 2021/2022 2nd module0.2 * Consulting report + 0.1 * In-class presentations + 0.3 * Mandatory 40 hours of statistical consulting, documented via consulting journal + 0.2 * Participation and responsibility grade + 0.2 * Weekly homeworks
- Dietmar Fink, & Oded Löwenbein. (2010). A management consulting view on the statistical consulting process. AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, (1), 105. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10182-009-0119-0
- Centreway Place, Mt Waverley Vic, & Jeremy Rothfield. (2013). Statistical Consulting. Retrieved from http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&site=eds-live&db=edsbas&AN=edsbas.7514F3BF