The Bachelor’s programme in Data Science and Business Analytics offered by HSE University and the University of London aims to train analysts and data scientists in modern methods of machine learning, software development, working with big data and developing analytical models for business.
This unique in Russia programme is based on the successful experience of HSE University’s Bachelor’s programme in Applied Mathematics and Information Science and the longstanding work of the London School of Economics and Political Science (University of London). Graduates receive a diploma in Bachelor of Science in Applied Mathematics and Informatics from HSE University and will be prepared for University of London exams.
The diversity of coursework leading to these degrees will equip you with applied skills in a variety of areas, including data handling and hypothesis testing, which will enable you to solve tasks creatively and efficiently.
Prospective undergraduates who have an interest in data science and applied economics, specifically in the financial industry, are encouraged to apply. Upon graduation, you will be an in-demand specialist qualified to work in data-driven financial organizations, consulting and IT companies, and start-ups, among others.
This programme is right for you if you have an interest in:
- Data science
- Data virtualization
- Predictive modelling
- Model selection
- Applied economics
- International educational experience with exposure to leading partner organizations, including banks, consulting firms, and other financial industry companies
While enrolled in the programme, you will:
- Gain knowledge of the foundations of applied probability and statistics and their relevance in day-to-day data analysis
- Develop an understanding of computing concepts and application requirements involving massive computing needs and data storage
- Learn how to apply various data visualization techniques using real-world datasets
- Develop an understanding of web analytics and metrics, as well as the ability to investigate hidden patterns
- Develop your knowledge-discovery skills using data mining techniques and tools involving large amounts of data
- Learn how to implement machine learning algorithms and recognize their pertinence in real-world applications
- Gain comprehensive knowledge of data analytics techniques and skills, as well as an understanding of the possibilities and limitations of their applications
The programme’s curriculum is delivered by highly qualified teaching staff who helped develop the Bachelor’s programme in Applied Mathematics and Information Science. Your academic coursework will cover:
- Required courses in programming aligned with those offered under the Applied Mathematics and Information Science programme
- Maths subjects essential for computer scientists, including Discrete Mathematics, Calculus, Linear Algebra and Geometry, Differential Equations, Probability Theory and Mathematical Statistics
- Databases and Information Systems Framework
- Machine Learning and Applications
- Introduction to Economics
- Introduction to Econometrics
- Statistical Methods in Market Analysis
- Business and Management in a Global Context
- A range of elective courses (e.g., Corporate Finance, Financial Mathematics, Managerial Economics, and Electronic Business)
A significant part of the programme consists of hands-on courses and a project carried out under the supervision of a mentor from an IT company. During your third and fourth years, you will also be able to choose whether to focus on research activities or continue honing your project skills by working on team projects offered by the faculty’s industry partners. Student projects are mostly related to the financial industry.
The comprehensive and in-depth training you receive in data science and business analytics will make you competitive for career opportunities in a variety of organizations driven by financial data, consulting and IT companies, and start-ups, among others.
Potential employers include:
- Banking, investment and insurance companies (e.g., Sberbank, Alfa-Bank, Tinkoff Bank, WorldQuant, and the Moscow Stock Exchange)
- Leading internet companies (e.g., Yandex, Mail.ru, Google, Facebook, and Rambler)
- Leading software manufacturers (e.g., Microsoft, SAP, SAS, Qlik, etc.)
- Consulting firms (e.g., PWC, McKinsey & Company, Accenture, BCG, Glowbyte)
- IT-departments and data analysis departments of large mobile providers (Beeline, MTS, Megafon)
If you are interested in enrolling in Bachelor’s programme in Data Science and Business Analytics offered by HSE University and have not taken the Russian Unified State Exam (EGE), you will need to follow an application process that consists of two stages:
1. Preparatory stage (remote) which involves registering in the online application system and submitting your documents
2. Examination stage (online or in Moscow), which consists of taking entrance exams in Mathematics and English. Additional information on these exams:
- Mathematics Minimum of 70 points required
- English Language Minimum of 70 points required
You may want to check the samples of examination programmes -- please visit here
For more information on the application process for this programme, please see additional guidelines and requirements. Please visit the International admissions website and Exam Procedures for Undergraduate Applicants page for more general admissions information.