Vadim V. Radaev
- First Vice Rector
- Department Head, Professor:Faculty of Social Sciences / School of Sociology / Department of Economic Sociology
- Editor-in-chief:'Economic Sociology' Journal
- Department Head:Laboratory for Studies in Economic sociology
- Member of the HSE Academic Council
- Vadim V. Radaev has been at HSE since 1999.
Vadim Radaev supervises:
1. The following areas of HSE’s activities:
- implementation of key educational programmes;
- licensing and accreditation, external evaluation of teaching and learning at HSE, including all of its regional campuses;
- organization of admissions to HSE, and prospective student affairs;
- HSE’s international affairs, international recruitment of teachers and researchers;
- career guidance and education of gifted students, organization of competitions;
- publishing at HSE;
- library and information services for HSE students and staff.
2. The activities of the following executives:
- Vice Rector Sergey Roshchin;
- Vice Rector Vyacheslav Bashev;
- Vice Rector Ivan Prostakov;
- Vice Rector Igor Chirikov.
3. The activities of the following HSE departments:
- Faculties (excluding the Faculty of Pre-university Training and faculties’ departments supervised by other executives, in accordance with the delegation of responsibilities at HSE);
- International College of Economics and Finance;
- Moscow Institute of Electronics and Mathematics (MIEM);
- Vysokovsky Graduate School of Urbanism (excluding the Laboratory for Experimental Urban Design);
- School of Foreign Languages;
- Independent departments (including joint departments);
- Educational programmes at the Institute of Education, educational programmes at the Institute for Statistical Studies and Economics of Knowledge, Department of Innovation Management at the Institute of Innovation Management, Department of Trade Policyat theInstitute of Trade Policy, and educational departments at HSE’s research centres;
- Institute for Theoretical and Historical Studies in the Humanities (excluding the IGITI Centre for Fundamental Sociology);
- Institute of Demography (excluding the Laboratory for Socio-Demographic Policy);
- Institute of Security Studies;
- Centre for Advanced Studies;
- Center for Institutional Studies;
- Laboratory for Editing of Textbooks;
- Laboratory for Studies in Economic Sociology;
- Laboratory for Comparative Social Research;
- Laboratory for Anti-Corruption Policy;
- Laboratory for Local Administration;
- Center of Continuing Education;
- Printing Office;
- Publishing House;
- Editorial board of Law. Journal of the Higher School of Economics;
- Editorial board of the Journal of Social Policy Studies;
- Editorial board of Universe of Russia;
- Editorial board of Psychology. Journal of the Higher School of Economics;
- Editorial board of the journal Otechestvennye Zapiski;
- Editorial board of the journal Organizational Psychology;
- Office for Educational Innovations and Short-Term International Programmes.
4. The educational activities of HSE’s departments.
5. Fund for Educational Innovation programme.
6. Thesis Committees.
7. Preparatory activities related to the consideration of portfolios of candidates for teaching positions within HSE departments.
Education, Degrees and Academic Titles
Doctor of Sciences* in Economic Theory
Candidate of Sciences* (PhD) in Economic Theory
Degree in Economics
Lomonosov Moscow State University
According to the International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) 2011, Candidate of Sciences belongs to ISCED level 8 - "doctoral or equivalent", together with PhD, DPhil, D.Lit, D.Sc, LL.D, Doctorate or similar. Candidate of Sciences allows its holders to reach the level of the Associate Professor.
A post-doctoral degree called Doctor of Sciences is given to reflect second advanced research qualifications or higher doctorates in ISCED 2011.
- Contemporary Russian Society (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; 2 year, 1, 2 module)Eng
- Contemporary Sociological Theory: Sociology of the Markets (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Applied Methods of Social Analysis of Markets"; 1 year, 3, 4 module)Rus
- Economic Sociology (Master’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Applied Methods of Social Analysis of Markets"; 1 year, 2 module)Rus
- Economic Sociology-2 (Bachelor’s programme; Faculty of Social Sciences; programme "Sociology"; 4 year, 1, 2 module)Rus
Student Term / Thesis Papers
I. Pavlov «Strategies of Russian Firms in Big Data Application». Faculty of Social Sciences, 2018
A. Sokolova «Legitimation Process in the Implementation of Telemedicine Services in Russia». Faculty of Social Sciences, 2018
V. Stepanova «The Commercialization of Intimate Relationships: An Analysis of Practices of Mistresses». Faculty of Social Sciences, 2017
A. Zhukova «Online-consumers Typologization: How Online-shoppers Choose Clothes-selling Internet-sites». Faculty of Sociology, 2014
A. Mixeeva «Gender Differences in Online-consumption in Russia (On Example of Electronics and Clothing Markets)». Faculty of Sociology, 2014
A. Moiseeva «The role of trust in the process of choosing between Russian and foreign internet shops of clothes and footwear». Faculty of Sociology, 2014
Ya. Andreeva «Price formation in trade based on a voluntary payment». Faculty of Sociology, 2014
D. Salnikova «The Relationship between Social Capital and the Economic Well-being of Households (by the Evidence of Transition Economies)». Faculty of Social Sciences, 2016
Editorial board membership
2015: Member of the Editorial Board, Russian Journal of Economics.
2011: Member of the Editorial Board, Corvinus Journal of Sociology and Social Policy.
2010: Member of the Editorial Board, Журнал Новой экономической ассоциации (The Journal of the New Economic Association).
2005: Member of the Editorial Board, British Journal of Sociology.
2000: Editor-in-chief, Экономическая социология (Journal of Economic Sociology).
1997: Member of the Editorial Board, Вопросы экономики (Voprosy Ekonomiki).
1994: Member of the Editorial Board, Мир России: Социология, этнология.
- Chapter Radaev V. V. Crooked Mirror: The Evolution of Illegal Alcohol Markets in Russia since the Late Socialist Period, in: The Architecture of Illegal Markets. Towards an Economic Sociology of Illegality in the Economy. Oxford : Oxford University Press, 2017. P. 218-241.
- Article Radaev V. V. National Academic Journal at the International Crossroads // Higher Education in Russia and Beyond. 2017. No. 1(11). P. 18-19.
- Article Kotelnikova Z., Radaev V. V. Recomposition and levelling of consumption expenditures across four economic shocks in Russia, 1994–2014 // International Journal of Consumer Studies. 2017. Vol. 41. No. 4. P. 439-448. doi
- Article Radaev, V. Divergent drinking patterns and factors affecting homemade alcohol consumption (the case of Russia) // International Journal of Drug Policy . 2016. Vol. 34. P. 88-95.
- Article Vadim Radaev. Divergent drinking patterns and factors affecting homemade alcohol consumption (the case of Russia) // International Journal of Drug Policy . 2016. Vol. 34. P. 88-95. doi
- Article Radaev V. Relational Exchange and the Degree of Embeddedness: An Empirical Study of Supply Chains // Journal of Economic Sociology. 2016. Vol. 17. No. 1. P. 122-134.
- Article Vadim Radaev. Impact of a New Alcohol Policy on Homemade Alcohol Consumption and Sales in Russia // Alcohol and Alcoholism. 2015. Vol. 50. No. 3. P. 365-372. doi
- Article Radaev V. V. Relational Exchange in Supply Chains and Its Constitutive Elements // Journal of Economic Sociology. 2015. Vol. 16. No. 1. P. 81-99.
- Article Radaev V. V. Does Competition Eliminate Social Ties?: The Case of the Russian Retail Market // Polish Sociological Review. 2013. No. 1 (181). P. 63-86.
- Article Radaev V. V. Market power and relational conflicts in Russian retailing // Journal of Business and Industrial Marketing. 2013. Vol. 28. No. 3. P. 167-177. doi
- Article Radaev V. V. Competitive Changes on Russian Markets: The Example of Retail Chains // Russian Social Science Review. 2005. Vol. 46. No. 4. P. 5-18.
- Chapter Radaev V. V. Establishing trust in a distrustful society: the case of Russian business, in: Trust and Entrepreneurship: A West-East Perspective. Челтенхем : Edward Elgar, 2005. P. 114-135.
- Chapter Radaev V. V. Informal Institutional Arrangements and Tax Evasion in the Russian Economy, in: Networks, Trust And Social Capital: Theoretical And Empirical Investigations From Europe. Aldershot : Ashgate, 2005. P. 189-203.
- Article Radaev V. V. Competitive Changes on Russian Markets: The Example of Retail Chains // Problems of Economic Transition. 2004. Vol. 47. No. 6. P. 66-93.
- Chapter Radaev V. V. Coping with Distrust in Emerging Russian Markets, in: Distrust (Russell Sage Foundation Series on Trust) Issue 8. NY : Russell Sage Foundation Publications, 2004. P. 233-248.
- Chapter Radaev V. V. How Trust is Established in Economic Relationships when Institutions and Individuals Are Not Trustworthy: The Case of Russia, in: Creating Social Trust in Post-Socialist Transition. NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2004. P. 91-110.
- Article Radaev V. V. Russian Entrepreneurship and Violence in the Late 1990s // Alternatives. 2003. Vol. 28. No. 4. P. 459-472.
- Chapter Radaev V. V. The Development of Small Entrepreneurship in Russia, in: Small and Medium Enterprises in Transitional Economies (Studies in Development Economics and Policy). Бейсингсток : Palgrave Macmillan, 2003. P. 114-133.
- Chapter Radaev V. V. Corruption and Administrative Barriers for Russian Business, in: Political Corruption in Transition: A Sceptic's Handbook. Нью-Йорк : Central European University Press, 2002. P. 287-311.
- Article Radaev V. V. Entrepreneurial Strategies and the Structure of Transaction Costs in Russian Business // Problems of Economic Transition. 2002. Vol. 44. No. 12. P. 57-84.
- Chapter Radaev V. V. Entrepreneurial Strategies and the Structure of Transaction Costs in Russian Business, in: The New Entrepreneurs of Europe and Asia: Patterns of Business Development in Russia, Eastern Europe, and China. Armonk : M.E. Sharpe Inc., 2002. P. 191-213.
- Chapter Radaev V. V. Entreprise, protection et violence en Russie a la fin des annees 1990, in: Cultures et Conflits Issue 42: Le crime organisé en Russie: nouvelles approches. L'Harmattan, 2001. P. 47-68.
- Chapter Radaev V. V. It’s Not Easy Being a Scholar in Modern Russia, in: Russia’ Fate Through Russian Eyes: Voices of the New Generation. Боулдер : Westview Press, 2001. P. 308-321.
- Chapter Radaev V. V. Urban Households in the Informal Economy, in: Explaining Post-Soviet Patchworks Issue 2: Pathways From the Past to the Global. Aldershot : Ashgate, 2001. P. 333-361.
- Article Radaev V. V. "...doing un-utilitarian things" // Sotsiologicheskiy Zhurnal. 2000. Vol. 3-4. P. 186-200.
- Chapter Radaev V. V. Corruption and Violence in Russian Business in the Late 90s, in: Economic Crime in Russia. Лондон : Kluwer Law International, 2000. P. 63-82.
- Article Radaev V. V. Return of the Crowds and Rationality of Action: A History of Russian 'Financial Bubbles' in the mid-1990s // European Societies. 2000. No. 2(3). P. 271-294.
- Article Radaev V. V. The Market as an Object of Sociological Investigation // Sociological Research. 2000. Vol. 39. No. 1. P. 51-66.
- Article Radaev V. V. The Role of Violence in Russian Business Relations // Russian Social Science Review. 2000. No. 41. P. 39-66.
Last week, over 140 HSE students and graduates were awarded certificates in honour of the quality of their research in HSE’s 2018 Research Paper Competition. In addition to receiving the traditional awards, guests received some exciting news: 1) students are now invited to participate in SciCasting, a research blogger competition; and 2) the winners of the 2018 research paper competition will receive travel grants.
New faculties, personnel development, internationalisation, and much more – these are all things on the agenda of the annual International Advisory Committee (IAC) meeting currently taking place in Moscow.
From October 26-27, a regular meeting of the Russian Academic Excellence Project 5-100 was held in Kaliningrad. The academic institutions involved in the project presented the results of their work and plans for the upcoming period of their respective roadmaps.
On September 13, 230 graduates of ICEF-UoL Bachelor’s and Master’s programmes received their diplomas. The history of HSE's collaboration with the London School of Economics of the University of London spans more than 20 years and demonstrates the integral role that international cooperation between universities plays in academic, research, and cultural development. The graduates of 2018 are sure to continue this tradition.
HSE Day is an annual event that never fails to surprise guests with something new. Below is a list of six new themed events to be featured at this year’s festival in Gorky Park on September 13.
Bet for the Future
‘At the Conference We’ll Be Talking about Different Facets of Life in Russia: From New Investment Policy to the Digital Economy’
Today, the XIX April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development begins. HSE Academic Supervisor Evgeny Yasin talks about the main topics that will be covered at the conference, as well as some of the participants.
Last year, the Russian Federation gave leading universities the right to award their own academic degrees on a trial basis, and this prompted universities to create models for future implementation. What the new system will bring and what needs to be done in order to render it fully operational was the focus of the board meeting of the Association of Global Universities, held on February 12 at HSE.
On its 25th anniversary, HSE has published a book - Other Cities - a collection of stories by the University’s staff about over 80 cities throughout Russia and the rest of the world, where the authors used to live and work, and which directly contributed to their personal and academic paths. The book won’t be on sale, but we will give it to you by making a donation to a hospice.
On November 27, the HSE Academic Council held an awards ceremony dedicated to the university’s 25th anniversary. The meeting saw the participation of representatives of the Russian President, members of government, and members of the Russian Federal Assembly. Governmental awards were given to a number of HSE employees for their tremendous accomplishments.
The Higher School of Economics was recognized as a leader among Project 5-100 universities following a recent session held by the Council on Competitiveness Enhancement of Leading Russian Universities among Global Research and Education Centers. The session took place in Yekaterinburg on October 27-28 and was chaired by Olga Golodets, Deputy Prime Minister of Russia.
The HSE International College of Economics and Finance (ICEF) is turning 20. The college celebrated its anniversary with a gala at the Pushkin Museum and with its largest graduating class ever.
A number of research organizations and universities, including HSE, will be able to establish their own academic degrees, under a decree signed by Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev.
The Best Teachers 2017 competition at HSE recently reached its completion. Although the overall procedure this year was the same as it was in 2016, the financial terms changed – the bonuses for the winners have been increased. Vadim Radaev, First Vice Rector of HSE, told us about the vote and some of the perks for all of the winners.
A Harry Potter-themed university graduation party has been held at HSE. This year, the party was completely organized by HSE students, they selected everything – from the location to the entertainment, and not only graduates, but also their friends and family were invited.
The first official fun-run organized by HSE as part of events to mark the 25th anniversary of its founding has taken place in Gorky Park. It drew 290 participants.
XVIII April Conference to Discuss ‘Hidden Champions’, Building Social Networks, and the Economics of Sport
From April 11 to 14, HSE is holding its XVIII April International Academic Conference on Economic and Social Development. Conference Programme Committee members Fuad Alekserov and Andrei Yakovlev discuss the key themes and main reports that will be presented at the conference. This conference will draw around 2,000 people, including 200 international participants.
HSE has become one of three Russian universities to receive maximum points for the implementation of the Russian Academic Excellence Project. These results were announced following a meeting of the Council on Enhancing the Competitiveness of Leading Russian Universities among the Global Rresearch and Education Centres.
On March 17, 2017, a regular meeting of the Russian Academic Excellence Project 5-100 Council on Competitiveness Enhancement of Leading Russian Universities took place in Moscow. HSE representatives told the Council, which includes international experts, about the University’s achievements following the implementation of the first half of the Project. They also discussed their upcoming development plans.
This year students from other Russian and international universities competed against HSE students. The new HSE project ‘Scientific Battles’ was also announced at the award ceremony.
University rankings, which increasingly impact both universities' development strategies and state policy in higher education, was one of the main topics discussed at the meeting of the HSE's International Advisory Committee.
The 16th graduation ceremony for ICEF students of HSE and the London School of Economics has taken place at the residence of the British Ambassador to Russia. This year’s ceremony had a record number of graduates, with nearly 190 bachelor’s and master’s students receiving their diplomas.
The Higher School of Economics has selected its Best Teachers of 2016. This year the voting process was different from previous years’, and First Vice Rector Vadim Radaev explains how.
‘I Want to Travel across all of Russia — From Moscow to Vladivostok’. What Summer University Students Dream about
June 20th marked the start of HSE’s third Summer University. This year’s programme saw the participation of students from 25 different countries.
Staff and students of HSE Vysokovsky Graduate School of Urbanism discussed the prospects for the development of Urban Studies at HSE and in Russia at a meeting with the university’s senior management.
On December 7, the sixth meeting of the HSE International Advisory Committee opened with leading experts from around the world in the field of science and education coming together to discuss the university’s achievements and the challenges it faces, as well as its objectives for the coming years. Following two days of discussions, the committee members will form recommendations on changes to the primary areas of development.
On October 16, Roll Hall was the scene of the annual meeting of HSE graduates for the HSE Alumni Awards ceremony.
Admissions in 2015 was quite successful for the Higher School of Economics – perhaps the most successful in the history of the university – according to a statement made by HSE First Vice-Rector Vadim Radaev on August 31 at a press conference on student admissions at Moscow universities.
Students and alumni of the Higher School of Economics in Moscow and St. Petersburg have determined the Best Teachers of 2015. HSE First Vice Rector Vadim Radaev discusses the results of the voting.
On July 23, 2015 HSE hosted the delegation from University of Central Asia, represented by Mr Shamsh Kassim-Lakha, Executive Chairman, Board Executive Committee and Dr Ariff Kachra, Dean of Academic Affairs.
On June 20, HSE Summer University classes began. In comparison with last year, the university has seen an increase both in the number of participants and in the diversity of courses offered.
HSE has entered the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2015 in the top 51-100 in Development Studies, and is the only Russian university in this category.
On January 27, 2015, HSE First-Vice Rector Prof. Vadim V. Radaev and Dr. Greg B. Yudin announced the closure of ‘Classics in New Economic Sociology’ - a mega translation project of the HSE Laboratory for the Studies in Economic Sociology. The project ran from 2001-2015.
Why are Russians unhappy; who serves the dictators; how to reform control and supervision;Trade versus wars; Russia’s new citizens; what do Russian and Chinese banks have in common; why analysts don’t predict recession; the provincial social environment and physical isolation of rural settlements: the most interesting research by HSE in 2014. According to Opec.ru.
South Korea Adopts the ISO 14001 Environmental Standard: A Question of Resources or Institutional Pressure?
On December 9, as part of a seminar run by the HSE’s Laboratory for Studies in Economic Sociology, there was an opportunity to meet Kyungmin Baek, new Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Social Sciences, School of Sociology, who joined HSE in September 2014. In a report about South Korean firms’ comprehensive adoption of the ISO 14001 environmental standard, Baek explained how businesses’ motivation has changed.
Integrating Russia’s academic community into the larger international community, internationalizing Russian academic journals, and improving the quality of publications and research – these are the ultimate priorities of a new project the HSE is participating in called the Russian Science Citation Index. The project is being carried out on Web of Science, a leading global search engine for academic publications. By the end of next year, a national database is to be created that comprises the best Russian journals and publications from the last ten years. The database will undoubtedly become a part of the international publication space
The HSE hosted the second general meeting of members of the Global Universities association on October 8. They discussed issues relating to attracting international students to Russian universities, about possibilities for the accreditation of programmes in new specialties and about the leading universities' conferring degrees.
On May 30, 2014, the HSE Academic Council voted to open a new ‘mega department’ – the Faculty of World Economy and International Affairs. The structure of this big division will include a Department of World Economy, a Department of International Affairs, and the School of Asian Studies. Sergey Karaganov will serve as Dean of the Faculty.
For the first time at HSE’s St. Petersburg campus, the annual meeting of HSE’s International Advisory Committee (IAC) took place on May 23-24. As is tradition, the discussion focused mainly on the HSE’s development as an international university.
At a meeting of HSE’s Academic Council on May 30, Evgeny Yasin was reelected as the university’s academic supervisor, and Alexander Shokhin — as HSE’s president.
Between May 26 and June 7 students can vote in the HSE annual election for best teachers of the academic year. This year not only students in Moscow but at the HSE St Petersburg can vote. So, what do you have to do to register your vote?
Evgeny Yasin: ‘The HSE, the New Economic School and Gaidar Institute Are Restoring Research to the Pre-Revolutionary Level in Russia’
Today, HSE Academic Supervisor Evgeny Yasin celebrates his 80th birthday. The HSE News Service congratulates him, and in honour of the celebration, is publishing an extract from Andrey Kolesnikov’s book ‘Dialogues with Evgeny Yasin’.
Russian light industry is slowly dying, and the only way for it to survive is to become integrated into the global supply chain. Support measures, other than keeping businesses afloat for a while, are not likely to make a difference, states the report 'Is it Possible to Save Russia's Light Industry?', presented by Vadim Radaev, the HSE's First Vice Rector and Head of the Laboratory for Economic and Social Research
On February 4, 2014, Princess Anne, Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal, who is leading the UK delegation to the Sochi Olympics, visited the Higher School of Economics International College of Economics and Finance.
On September 25, 2013, the 13th HSE International College of Economics and Finance graduation ceremony took place at the residence of Timothy Barrow, Ambassador of the United Kingdom to the Russian Federation.
The annual conference of the American Sociological Association was in New York this year. Among the 6,000 specialists discussing the current state of social sciences and society were 18 academics from the HSE
For a long time, retail in Russia developed without interference from government regulators, but the situation has changed dramatically in recent years. The state is now actively trying to control this sphere, but the effectiveness of such attempts is questionable, asserts Vadim Radaev in his recent paper.
From June 23-26, 2013, a delegation from the Singapore Business Federation visited the Higher School of Economics (the HSE) as part of a special business tour. Its organizers, Andrey Yakovlev, Director of the HSE Institute for Industrial and Market Studies, and Vasily Solodkov, Director of the HSE Banking Institute, as well as a participant told us about the event.
On June 24, 2013, the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE), represented by ICEF Project Director from the LSE Richard Jackman, and the HSE, represented by First Vice Rector Vadim Radaev, signed an agreement on the activities and development of the HSE’s International College of Economics and Finance (ICEF) for the next four-year period. Sergey Yakovlev, Director of the ICEF, told us about this cooperation.
On September 24th 2011, Craig Calhoun, new Director of the London School of Economics, gave an open lecture at the HSE International College of Economics and Finance on ‘Social and Political Challenges Facing Global Capitalism’.
On June 29th 2012, the latest regular session of the Higher School of Economics Academic Council took place at the HSE. The agenda included information on the launch of new faculties and departments, approval of certain regulatory documents, as well as the results of the voting process for the teaching staff competition.
On May 30th the third annual meeting of the Higher School of Economics International Advisory Committee (IAC) opened at the HSE.
The Russian President, Dmitry Medvedev, has awarded honours to some researchers from the Higher School of Economics for their work on the Strategy 2020 expert groups, including organization of the groups, the preparation of suggestions on topical issues for Russian socio-economic strategy up to 2020 and their personal input into the expert and analytical work
On November 25th a reporting conference of the HSE Laboratory for Comparative Social Research (LCSR) on ‘Comparative Sociology in Quantitative Perspective’ was held at the HSE.
On September 27th the 11th graduation ceremony of the HSE International College of Economics and Finance undergraduate and master’s programmes took place at the British Embassy in Moscow.
On September 26th a meeting between the administration of the Higher School of Economics and international lecturers and researchers took place at the HSE. The aim of the event was to discuss various organizational, legal and academic aspects of their work at the HSE.
From August 1st – 5th, an international Summer School on East-European studies took place at the Higher School of Economics. This time, participants discussed the influence of the global economic crisis on the politics and economies of Central and Eastern European countries.
On May 30th a meeting of the International Advisory Committee of the HSE Development Programme took place at the HSE. The committee was formed in early 2010 and this was its first full assembly.
This year the Sociological Review journal celebrates its 10th anniversary. Alexander Filippov, its Editor-in-Chief, Head of the Center of Fundamental Sociology, HSE Poletayev Institute for Theoretical and Historical Studies in the Humanities, told us about the mission, history and authors of the journal.